We all yearn for our skin to glow from the inside out. But gaining healthy & naturally radiant skin is not an overnight progression. It needs lot of TLC and now that winter’s coming, you certainly need to level up your skincare game. While you pop your favorite winter shrug and soft cozy scarfs, you need to keep your skin in its top shape too, by retaining moisture. But why is it that your skin needs a little more nourishment, particularly during these cold winter months? And more importantly how?
During winter, as the temperature drops, so does the humidity. This, in turn, leads to trans-epidermal water loss (TEWL) as water evaporates through our skin in the external environment or simply put causes your skin to become more and more Dry. Dryness is not only discomforting in the short run but also leads to premature aging, increased sensitivity and thus it is very important that you take care of your skin a litte more during winters.
It is vital to make a few changes in our winter skincare routine such that our skin can remain hydrated & nourished, all throughout the cold. In a nutshell, this journal entry will not only give some pertinent winter skincare tips but also break some winter skincare myths and finally recommend products that will give your skin the much needed TLC it needs in winters. Let’s find out!
Winter skincare tips you should follow without fail:
1. Moisturize, and moisturize more: Hydrate your skin as much as possible and start using a moisturizer even before your skin feels dry or starts to crack. Add both face and body moisturizer in your winter skincare routine and keep reapplying through the day whenever u feel dry. There is a simple scientific reason behind moisturizing your skin in the frequent intervals in winters. The more the surrounding air is dry, the more it absorbs moisture from your skin and if your skin also has to deal with cold dry wind it needs even more protection. Aminu's Hydrating Cream such that it strengthens your skin to naturally attract and lock more moisture even in the harshest cold winters without a greasy fell.
2. Choose the correct moisturizer for your skin type: A good moisturiser should not only hydrate your skin’s outer layers by attracting moisture in the skin and strenthening the lipid barrier to lock the moisture, it should do much more than that absed on your skin type. For example if you have an oily or combination skin type, opt for light-weight, non-comedogenic moisturizer to avoid greasy feeling. On the other hand, dry skin needs a deeply nourishing oil-based moisturizer to rehydrate. But remember thick textured moisturizers do not always mean better hydration. Confused? To know how you can pick the right moisturizer for your skin, read here.
3. Use a mild exfoliator: It is important to exfoliate as it is very likely that the dead skin cells build up on the surface of your face with increased dryness, preventing it from absorbing your hydrating products. However, at times using "physical water-based" exfoliators can be harsh for the skin and thus we recommend using either cream based scrubs as Aminu’s Vit B Enzyme Scrub or chemical exfolatiors such as Aminu’s AHA Power Peel.
4. Limit your shower time and opt for lukewarm showers: Keeping your shower short and temperature of water warm (and resisting the temptation to keep it excessively hot), can help prevent moisture loss from the skin. Extreme shower temperatures, either way, be it cold or hot, makes the skin drier.
5. Use pH balanced cleanser: Ideally, you should look out for cleansers that have a pH level close to your skin’s natural level, ranging from 4.5 to 6 (acidic). The reason I am emphasising on using pH-balanced cleansers during winter is because products with high pH (basic) can damage your acid mantle (one of the three protective layers on our skin). This in turn, can aggravate your skin even more, particularly for those with dry or sensitive skin types.
6. Give your lips and eyes some extra TLC: The skin around the eyes & lips have little-to-no oil glands to protect. This is why we need to apply creams around your eyes and use lip balms, as frequently as possible.
7. Wear comfortable and breathable fabric: Opt for more light-weighted and soft fabrics. Refrain yourself from wearing those fabrics, which can aggravate allergic reactios in your skin. Fleece and flannels are an excellent choice here.
8. Protect your hands: Whenever stepping out, use a pair of gloves with soft fabric that will not aggravate your skin. Beneath the gloves regulalry moisturize your hands with Aminu's Hand and Neck cream, especiallt designed for the thin skin on hands and neck.
9. Use sunscreen even in winters: Sun’s rays pose to be extremely harsh and strong particularly during winter even with the cloud or fog cover. We highly recommend using sunscreen to protect your skin from sun damage. Read more on the Importance of Sunscreen here.
Stay hydrated and ensure that you are meeting your day’s worth of water intake!
Winter skincare myths: All you need to know!
1. Younger skin is less susceptible to winters: While on the surface young skins make it through the winter easily without much care it does take a toll on your skin health if not given enough care and love. Infact not taking care of your skin during winters more often than not lead to pre-mature aging, photo-damage and increased sensitivity. As they say, precaution is better than cure.
2. The thicker the cream, the better it hydrates: A thicker cream might actually clog the skin cells, and prevent the products from entering the pores. This is why instead of looking out for thick moisturizers, use moisturizers that 1) attract moisture and 2) lock in that moiosture without clooging your pores and making your skin feel greasy. Not to forget, keep replenshing.
Easy winter skincare routine!
Few changes in your skincare routine can help to boost, protect and keep your skin healthy in winters. Let us go through some of our hero products to help withstand the effects of winter and maintain a radiant complexion.
Since moisture is scare during winters and you need to keep it locked in, you don’t want to strip away the natural oil on your skin that lock in the moisture. Aminu’s Cream Cleanser is a lightweight cleanser that instead of drying infact hydrates and brightens the skin and protects it from environmental stressors, and thus prevent premature aging. The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant-rich botanical extracts, nourishing plant oils, and a barrier repairing sugar complex strengthens skin's natural barrier that not only holds in moisture and phospholipids but also prevents dryness.
The longevity serum is based on the silanol technology and contains hyaluronic acid, antioxidants and humectants that maintain and impart hydration to your skin. It is a treatment which provides skin improvements at all levels. This in turn, makes the epidermis thicker and of a better quality for higher protection, reducing the trans-epidermal water loss.
This lightweight moisturizer forms a hydrating seal on the skin to constantly replenish lost moisture, and acts as a shield to protect the skin from external youth robbing radicals. It contains molecular film technology, rare algae extracts and hyaluronic acid that help effectively transport more water by weight to the deep layers of the skin. It is loaded with amino acids, essential vitamins, and minerals that preserve the natural barrier function of the skin without the risk of congestion!
Radiance Face Oil
The Radiance Face Oil is one of Aminu's signature & best selling products. It mimics our skin’s natural sebum and helps to maintain its lipid barrier to improve moisture retention. Made with 26+ restorative ingredients which include better-aging antioxidants, ayurvedic herbs, powerful superfruit oils, vitamins, and botanical extracts that promote radiant skin. It is light, super easy to absorb by the skin to give you glowing, hydrated, and even skin.
The best body care routines might be either the entire ‘night before’ head-to-toe package or a quick boost before you head out to meet your peers. This is why, we recommend you to slough off that dry skin, with our Vit B Body Lotion and Vit C Body Oil mixed together, which can be applied over damp skin after-bath. Let’s have a look!
This lightweight cleanser hydrates, brightens, protects the skin from environmental stressors, and prevents premature aging. It replenishes the skin's moisture barrier for a natural glow.
Vit B Body Lotion
Bursting with omegas 6 & 9, hyaluronic acid, powerful botanicals & antioxidants, this body lotion replenishes the skin's moisture barrier for a natural glow. Protects skin from environmental stress - especially after exposure to harsh climates. Light enough for summers yet rich enough for winters, the lotion is perfect for 365 days a year. This hydrating formula leaves your skin feeling supple, smooth and deeply hydrated.
Vit C Body Oil
The base oil comprises 9 incredibly nourishing oils, including cold-pressed coconut oil, macadamia oil, grapeseed oil, and argan oil. An excellent source of essential fatty acids, antioxidants, vitamins, and sterols to the firm, revitalize and tone the appearance of skin. Another, best seller from the Aminu portfolio, the Vit C Body Oil deeply penetrates and restores moisture creating a luminous, smooth glow.
Now that you’ve an idea on why and how to replenish your skin all winter long, why not give your skin the much needed TLC along with that long cozy shrug, a modish pair of boots, a cup of hot chocolate, and get ready to step into the season of snow? Remember skin first, makeup second but a smile always!
Oishika currently pursuing Masters in Sociology was recently chosen as HPAIR'21 Delegate under the Harvard College Project of Asian and International Relations. She has over 5 years of experience professional writing. The idea behind 'Aminu' being a reminder to celebrate life and self being allured Oishika the most. In her words "I personally, love to go forward with each of Aminu's products and suggest my closed quarters to do the same!"
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this journal are those of the authors and are for information purposes only and not medical advice. Further, they do not reflect the opinions or views of Aminu Wellness Pvt Ltd or any of its directors. Any content provided by the author(s) are of their opinion and are not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, individual, or anyone, or anything.